I have been absent from my page for a wee while!
April has been a busy month, the World Masters Games were on at the end of the month and I was catering for a group of masters rowers. Haven’t done any major catering for some years, it was so much fun getting back into the swing of it!
Beginning of this month saw trials for my athlete and I was busy making sure he had the best chance by providing meals that had everything he needed in them. It was very successful I’m happy to say 😊
One of those meals was the ubiquitous pasta dish that gives a good carb hit , great the night before and after racing. Below is the recipie for the dish , he managed 3 decent meals out of it but the normal family would get 4 good portions.
Chicken Mushroom and Broccoli Pasta
- 1 large chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 5-6 button mushrooms, sliced or quartered
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 head Broccoli, cut into small florets
- 250g lite sour cream
- 1/2 tablespoon seeded mustard
- 1 packet chicken soup, I used a cup a soup sachet
- 1/2 – 1 cup water, you can use pasta water
- 3 1/2 cups of Pasta , I used Pipe Rigate but you could use penne
- Extra Parmesan or cheddar to sprinkle on top
Cook pasta as directed on packaging. Meanwhile heat a large pan with a few drops of olive oil and add chicken. Stir fry for a few minutes then add mushrooms and broccoli, stir fry for about 5 minutes. Add mustard, sour cream and soup mix to pan along with 1/2 cup water and mix together gently with ingredients already in the pan. Cook about another 5 mins or so until chicken is cooked. You don’t want to break up the chicken or Broccoli to much. Add Parmesan along with salt and pepper to taste, at this stage if it’s a little thick add more water until you are satisfied with the consistency eg sauce like, not too thick and gluggy. Gently mix with cooked pasta and pile into a baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and bake at 180oC til cheese melted and browned.