There is a very busy long weekend coming up . We have a 3 day regatta and loads to do around the new house. It’s always busy in summer trying to get all those jobs done around the home while the sun shines.
This is a great throw together in the morning and store in fridge until ready to cook dish. I am using all the lovely summer veg out of my garden and what has been given by friends from their gardens, so it’s a sort of communal dish really. You could also do this in a slow cooker during the winter months just change the veg a little , courgettes (zucchini) an be super pricey in winter .
Its a perfect pre regatta meal full of protein and carbs if you serve with rice or mashed potato. Change up the vege to suit what your family likes.
Chicken and Vegetable Bake
- 4 free range chicken breasts
- 2 capsicums , different colours if you have them,chopped into large dice
- 4 courgettes chopped into large dice
- cherry tomatoes, about 1/2 a punnet , to scatter
- 2 garlic cloves chopped into small dice
- 1 red chilli , seeded and chopped finely
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into 6 quarters
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary ( 1 reaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme ( 1 teaspoon dried)
- few fresh basil leaves
- juice and rind of a lemon
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Put chicken in a casserole dish or oblong baking dish . Add all the diced and chopped veges and mix together . Strip fresh rosemary and thyme from their stalks and scatter over vege and chicken. Next grate lemon rind over and squeeze lemon to extract all the juice over the mixture . Drizzle with balsamic and olive oil and lastly pop the fresh basil amongst the vege so it doesn’t burn.
Bake at 180C (350) for about 25-30 minutes until chicken is cooked and Veges are tender , not mushy , they should have some bite .
If using a slow cooker I would put on low for 5-6 hours.