While writing this food blog I am also doing a bit of research into best foods for my rower. I am not a great one for intense research really, but I do enjoy reading about they way different fresh foods can enhance your performance. Especially good for me as I can be quite forgetful at times, mainly because I always seem to be ‘on the go’ as my dear Mum used to say. I love to relax in the kitchen, cooking is my way of releasing a days stress at work, I can potter about and create something delicious for my family and friends.
I was talking about beetroot with a friend recently and its benefits, low-fat and packed full of vitamins and minerals, perfect food in the summer heat. I was trying to get taste bud bursting flavour without including feta, which I love, but can sometimes be just too creamy to pair with a plateful of other food, so below is the result a Beetroot Salad with soy and citrus dressing. I made my dressing but if you are short of time or don’t have a large store cupboard there is an Eta Japanese Soy and Citrus dressing in the Lite and Free range.
- 2 med/large beetroot grated
- 4 medium carrots grated
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 2 spring onions, white only, chopped
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup chopped coriander
- 1/2 cup roasted combined sesame and sunflower seeds
Grate beetroot and carrots into a large salad bowl. Add sliced red onion,chopped spring onion , coriander and spinach leaves and toss together. Sprinkle over the nuts and add soy citrus dressing to serve.
My Soy and Citrus dressing
- 2 Tablespoons of soy sauce ( use a good quality one)
- 1 tablespoon of white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove of garlic (grate on a microplane rather than use a press)
- juice of half a fresh lemon
- juice of 1 fresh lime ( about 2 tablespoons)
Shake all above ingredients in jar and pour to taste over salad. I had some left because I didn’t want to drown the salad in dressing.